Error 80070057 parsing input - illegal syntax?
Nasty error. First time I've seen a serious Active Directory error in years.
"When you start your domain controller, the screen may go blank, and you may receive the following error message: LSASS.EXE - System Error, security accounts manager initialization failed because of the following error: Directory Services cannot start. Error status 0xc00002e1. Please click OK to shutdown this system and reboot into directory services restore mode, check the event log for more detailed information."
How to Recover the Database
To recover the database, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type ntdsutil in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
2. At the Ntdsutil command prompt, type files, and then press ENTER.
3. At the file maintenance command prompt, type recover, and then press ENTER.
4. Type quit, and then press ENTER.
5. Restart the computer.
Didn't work. Got Error 80070057 parsing input - illegal syntax? errors.
NOTE: You can also use Esentutl.exe to perform database recovery when the procedure described earlier in this article fails (for example, the procedure may fail when the database is inconsistent).
To use Esentutl.exe to perform database recovery, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
2. Type esentutl /r path\ntds.dit, and then press ENTER. path refers to the current location of the Ntds.dit file.
3. Delete the database log files (.log) from the WINDOWS\Ntds folder.
4. Restart the computer.
Still didn't work :(
So I went the whole hog...
1) Made a backup copy of C:\WINDOWS\NTDS
2) Deleted ALL files in C:\WINDOWS\NTDS except for 'ntds.dit'
3) Did a "esentutl /p C:\WINDOWS\NTDS\ntds.dit"
Luck prevailed and it worked!