Cannot Install SP2? Stuck on "Checking Product Key"
I recently had a Dell D505 laptop in the workshop that refused to install Service Pack 2. Each time, it just stopped on "Checking Product Key"
The product key was correct but it could get no further - the Update process would then use 100% of the CPU and had to be closed manually.
After searching the net, I found a few other users with the same problem and generally the solution was to reinstall Windows with SP2 slipstreamed into it already. Since this was already a fresh install after a hard disk failure, I was not keen on this plan.
Then I found the solution (thanks Ste123) on a Microsoft forum of all places and here it is. Naturally, use it at your own risk.
1) Open a CMD prompt
2) Then type cd /d %windir%\inf
3) Then type ren oem*.inf oem*.old
4) Then type ren oem*.pnf oem*.old1
5) Then find the file by name INFCACHE.1 and remove it from the inf directory
6) Close all windows and reboot the computer to safe mode and
start the installation of SP2 and it should go fine