My USB Flash drive as of August 2006
UPDATE TO THIS ARTICLE CAN BE FOUND HERE - Freeware Engineers Toolkit
The flashkey has an autorun.inf to start PStart on double click, or on the right click menu either open explorer or mount a Truecrypt archive (to protect customer data). Lastly the key is bootable with Acronis True Image V9
Installations for PC's
- 7-Zip - Supports ZIP,RAR and many others and it's own 7z format is hard to beat.
- Ad-aware - Spyware cleaner
- ActiveSync 4.2 - PocketPC Sync software
- Adobe Reader 7.08 - PDF Reader
- Audacity - for recording and editing sounds
- Autohotkey - hotkeys and keyboard macro program for repetitive tasks.
- AxCrypt - File Encryption Software with a nice "Shred file" feature
- Blender - suite of tools for 3D creation
- CDBurnerXP Pro - CD/DVD burning solution
- Codecs All-in-one - one of the most complete codec packs
DaemonTools - Virtual CD/DVD-ROM Emulator - Freeware for private use only(V4+ includes spyware, use 3.x)
- .NET Framework
- Exact Audio Copy - copy audio data from an audio CD with jitter correction.
- EFS3 (Email Forwarding System) - POP3 gateway for any SMTP server
- Wireshark - network protocol analyzer (changed its name from Ethereal)
- Files and Settings Transfer Wizard - helps you copy files and settings from your old computer to a new computer (Commercial software found on Windows XP CD)
- Filezilla - fast and reliable FTP client and server
- Firefox - open-source browser (or
- Firetune - optimization software for Firefox
- Gaim - instant messenger client, which can handle multiple protocols, including AIM, ICQ, Yahoo!
- Google Desktop - easy access to information on your computer and from the web
- GTK+ - package needed for GIMP and Gaim
- HTML Slideshow - create an HTML slide show of your digital pictures
- HTTrack Website Copier - easy-to-use offline browser utility
- ImageResizer Powertoy - resize one or many image files with a right-click.
- Inkscape - Inkscape is a Vector Graphics Editor, similar to Adobe Illustrator
- Flash player for Mozilla/Opera
- InnoSetup - powerful script based freeware installation builder
- Java Runtime Environment - allows end-users to run Java applications
- KeePass - open-source password safe
- LAME - LGPL MP3 encoder for use with EAC.
- MySQL ODBC Connector
- NVU - WYSIWYG HTML editor with site manangement features
- OpenOffice - free office suite to use and distribute
- OpenVPN - full-featured SSL VPN solution
- PaintDotNet - image and photo manipulation software
- PDFCreator - easily creates PDFs from any Windows program. Use it like a printer.
- Barts PEBuilder - Create Windows bootdisk for PC maintenance tasks
- Picasa2 - *
- Planner - project scheduling tool
- Quicktime Alternative - Play Quicktime files without installing Quicktime player
- Realplayer Alternative - Play Realplayer files without installing Realplayer
- RunPCRun Total Support - Have to carry around our support package!
- Skype - The now famous VoIP software. Will be lovely when there's a proper Asterisk gateway.
- Spambayes - Probability based mail filter includes Microsoft Outlook plug-in.
- Thunderbird - cross-platform email and Usenet client
- TightVNC - remote control software
- TrueCrypt - create a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mount it as a real disk
- WinSCP - SCP/SFTP client
- XnView - View and convert graphics files - not free for commercial use
Applications - Working directly off drive
- 7-Zip - dragging the folder containing the executables seems to work
- KeePass - Password Safe, use zip version for portability
- Firefox Portable - the portable version of this great browser
- Portable Filezilla - portable FTP client
- Portable Clamwin - portable antivirus
- Portable Gaim - portable Messaging
- Portable NVU - portable HTML editor
- Portable Thunderbird - portable email program
- Notepad2 - notepad replacement
- Spacemonger - show the layout of files and space on a hard drive.
- Putty - SSH client
- TrueCrypt - create a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mount it as a real disk without installation
Diagnostics & Removal - Working directly from drive
- Dependency Walker - scans any Windows module and builds a hierarchical tree diagram of all dependent modules
- DiskMon - logs and displays all hard disk activity
- Filemon - displays file system activity on a system in real-time
- PortMon - displays all serial and parallel port activity
- Process Explorer - shows you information about which handles and DLLs processes have opened or loaded
- Pstools - SysInternals 'Resource Kit'
- RegMon - Real-time Registry monitoring utility
- TCPView - detailed listings of all TCP and UDP endpoints on your system. Graphical netstat
- TokenMon - monitors and displays a variety of security-related activity taking place on a system
- Winobj - display information on the NT Object Manager's name space
- Norton Removal Tool - Norton can be stubborn to remove at times.
- autoruns - show all auto-starting locations
- "remove msn messenger.cmd" - simply RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
- RootkitRevealer - advanced rootkit detection utility
- WinsockXPFix - simple winsock fix. i don't know if it's just netsh int ip reset but it does work.
Toolkit - Working directly off drive
- NT Resource Kit - the original resource kit (not freeware)
- 2000 Resource Kit - (not freeware)
- 2000 Support Tools
- 2003 Resource Kit - (not freeware)
- UnixUtils - ports of common GNU utilities
- BluesPortScan - Fast port scanner
- eicar - Anti virus test file
- pixie - an 8Kb colour picker
- rawwritewin - for writing floppy disk images
- tftpd32 - TFTP server
- UPX - powerful executable packer
- Tight VNCviewer - just the viewer
- WinSCP - standalone WinSCP
Only two, but I have to have them.
* means there is some referral or partnership with these suppliers via the links given. Check out our stance on reviews and recommendations.