Too many pop-ups? Tired of spyware?
There are many ways of avoiding your PC being infested with the rubbish marketing material called "spyware". Here are a few of ways that can be effective in keeping you clean.
- Internet Explorer is not totally secure due to the way it is built into the rest of Windows. Browse faster and safer with * , double up with NoScript but it is more effort to browse normally for a while while you tell it your "safe" sites.
- Do not install programs offered for free such as My Mail Signature, My Web Search, Smiley Central, Cursor Mania, My Mail Stamps, My Mail Stationery and Fun Buddy Icons these programs come pre-loaded with spyware.
- If Windows, Firefox or Java prompt for an update - do it, make sure you are always up to date.
- Don't click on links in Email, MSN Messenger or Skype, especially if:-
- sent from people you do not know.
- sent from people you do know but you have not confirmed it is really them rather than a computer.
- you receive a message saying your PC is compromised or infected
- Practice wise computing wherever possible.
* means there is some referral or partnership with these suppliers via the links given. Check out our stance on reviews and recommendations.